3D PARAMETRIC DESIGN TOOL
DESIGNING AND PRODUCING IN 3D HAS NEVER BEEN easier
Client: Various customers
Simplify and reduce the time needed to design and produce industrial components.
A parametric 3D modeller (as a Rhino plugin or web-based) with direct output for 3D printing.
3D Parametric Design Tool allows companies to create and produce any industrial component with just a few clicks, thanks to a practical visual interface that handles all possible variations. Created to meet the operational needs of professionals who do not have specific knowledge of 3D software, the tool avoids production errors and interfaces directly with the company’s 3D printing systems.
Industrial components often require specific tools, which need to be implemented in a short time to meet the operational needs of users who do not have specific knowledge of the 3D software required to create them. To support users in this process, Protocube Reply has developed a 3D Parametric Design Tool which allows any component to be modified and produced with just a few clicks, changing all its specifications with a practical visual interface.
ALL VARIATIONS UNDER CONTROL, IN REAL TIME
The 3D Parametric Design Tool is a device that helps users modify many types of components, as a result of a process that comprises the following phases:
- Analysis of the elements and geometries: a validation range is defined for groups of similar models, followed by the creation of a 3D catalogue defining all the parts that need to be modified;
- Definition of functions and constraints: the design requirements allow any element to be modified in total safety, permitting only the variations that are feasible thanks to a series of rules and constraints;
- Evaluation of the variations in real-time: this is made possible thanks to 3D display technologies, which dynamically update the model based on any change made by the operator.
One of the most significant advantages noticed by the users of the 3D Parametric Design Tool is a significant reduction of errors. The operator can assess the rendering preview of the modified component in real-time before going into production: all the main features are accurately illustrated.
A SIMPLE AND STRAIGHTFORWARD INTERFACE ON RHINOCEROS AND WEB BROWSERS
Developed with the Grasshopper visual programming environment, the 3D Parametric Design Tool can be used anywhere with only a web browser, or within Rhinoceros software, preserving all the functions of creation and modification of the popular 3D modeller developed by McNeel. The graphical interface allows two main operations:
- Modification of numerical parameters, which is reflected in real-time on the 3D model of the component;
- “Drag and drop” modification of the component, through the control points positioned on the 3D model at the main nodes.
DIRECT OUTPUT IN 3D PRINTING
The 3D Parametric Design Tool is capable of generating an automatic output for 3D printing. This function allows the operator to interface directly with a wide range of 3D printers, taking advantage of the benefits offered by additive manufacturing, in particular:
- On-demand production with a considerable saving of time and costs (independently of moulds and minimum production quantities);
- Freedom of form (fewer production constraints than traditional CNC technologies).
The 3D Parametric Design Tool was initially developed and used to produce electrical connectors on demand, but its flexibility makes it suitable for other types of industrial components.